Saturday, April 28, 2012

A New State of Normal

A this point in time our hectic life has now settled into two different states of normal, mine and Richard's.


As mentioned earlier Richard ran around like crazy trying to get everything taken care of for me before he left for 7 months. Some projects he did not complete and those that I can finish, I will.


A somewhat finished project was to collect firewood to be split and stacked so it could dry out for future. My sweetheart did an awesome job of collecting firewood. We have all this plus what is still in the driveway. My job will be to split and stack it all.



Since Richard would be working on a river he decided to take the dinghy from our sailboat up with him so he could run around on the water when he was not working on the water. Sometimes I think his veins are filled with salt water. Anyway, he built this nice rack for the dinghy to sit on. He carpeted the boards where the dinghy would rest so it wouldn't get scuffed.




Another project was to repair the bilge pump in the dinghy. It had gotten broken somehow. After he fixed that one he started to work on the pump from Molly Brown, the dinghy we lost and then found in the Bahamas. As he started taking apart Molly Brown's pump he started laughing and said "no wonder it won't work" The pump was completely clogged with sand.




Time flies and before I knew it the day had come for Richard to head off for his new job. He sort of looks like a traveling show.




Bye sweetheart,,,,,


However,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,



Since I am so very, very good at keeping myself occupied during his absences I had been planning for this one. To start off I bought myself a Portabella mushroom kit. I am thinking of mushroom cap pizzas, stuffed mushrooms, grilled mushroom sandwiches, mushrooms in my spaghetti sauce and some kind of marsala, either chicken or veal.




I also had Richard bring me home all my cookbooks from the boat, as if I didn't have enough here at the house already.


I got the Sushi book. It came complete with rolling thing and other goodies which are still on the boat. I am thinking this would be a great rainy day project, especially since we have a couple bottles of saki in the house.




Did you ever know that there are 650 different ways to cook shrimp? The book says there are and I will check into that.




Caribbean Cooking,,I can get some of the ingredients here so this will be a nice change of pace.




Morgan Freenman and Friends. Great book, great idea. Morgan and his friends each take an island in the Caribbean and highlight a dish from there. Michael Douglas represents Bermuda. Kenny Chesney takes St. Johns in the US Virgin Islands. The best part was that all the proceeds from the sales of this book went to the Caribbean Hurricane Relief Fund.




The Best of the Bahamas. Anyone know where I can get some conch?




Women Aboard,,,,




St. Peter the Fisherman. Recipes using the bounty of the Pamlico Sound.




And lastly, The Cruising Chef cookbook.



My goal is to find several recipes from each book and put them on index cards rather than cart the whole book around. Sounds like a good summer project to me.

I also have a large green garbage bag filled to over-flowing with pinecones that need to be dipped in melted wax for firestarters.

No comments:

Post a Comment