Saturday, October 13, 2012

Soup and Cookies

Last weekend I decided to do some outside clean up in preparation for the snow that I know will be coming.

On Friday afternoon, with a little help from my tenant, I got the log splitter off the tractor and then got the yard rake on. I did not take a photo but I got one side of the driveway repairs,,no more ruts.

Then I cleaned off the back deck. I moved and stowed all the furniture and covered the chiminea and tied the cover on the grill.

Sunday was a chilly, raw, miserable day in the mountains so early in the morning I built a fire to keep the house warm. A good fire can get the living room up to 70 degrees, and that keeps the heat from kicking on.

I had found a recipe for a German Barley Soup and decided to make a pot of it for lunch for the week. I need brats, barley and chicken broth.

Also required celery, carrot and a leek. I am proud to say the leek came from my garden.

It is interesting how some trees are almost bare and yet others have all their leaves.

While the soup was simmering I started peeling kisses for cookies for my co-workers.

As the day went on the temperature dropped. Here it is at 39.7. That was the high for the day.

I took this photo so you all can see the deplorable conditions I work in :-)

In no time at all the cookies were done and cooling.

The clouds rolled in and by later afternoon this was my view,,,nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment