Monday, August 6, 2012

Harrisburg, PA,,,,Road Trip

NOTE: You can double click on any photo to see a larger size of it and all the other photos.

Recently I took a road trip up to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania to see Richard. I was in 5 different states each way. There was some interesting scenery but no where
to pull off and take a photo.

When I arrived on Friday afternoon the Captain held the 1:30 cruise a few minutes so I could make it. Good thing I have connections.

Since the Susquehanna River is so low we were going to head downstream. We would pass under several bridges. Here is the downstream view while sitting at the dock.

Unlike most paddle boats The Pride of The Susquehanna has no rudders and no propellers. She moves only by the rotation of her split stern paddle wheels. We are leaving the dock.


The Captain is very dashing in his uniform.


Here is another shot looking downstream at the bridges.


When we get as far as we can go the Captain tells us to look carefully and off in the distance we can see the cooling towers of Three Mile Island.

The public cruises are only 45 minutes and soon we were back at the dock. Once the Captain was off duty he took me out for Indian food,,it was awesome.

Since the Captain had to work on Saturday I took a stroll around Harrisburg. I love the wooden window headers with the Dutch style carvings in them and the other woodwork.

When I got back to Richard's place I noticed this sign on the side of his apartment building. I knew it was an old building before I saw this.


By lunchtime Carol & Howard Page (former sister in-law and hubby) had arrived. I picked them up from their hotel. After lunch we went to take a ride on The Pride with Richard as our Captain. We staked out a spot in the shade while waiting for our pre-cruise talk.


Here is Captain Richard giving his pre-cruise talk. I love a man in uniform.


After the cruise we got a group photo. This is the only photo of the Captain and I.


I got the Captain to pose at the fake helm in the wheel house.


Later on we went out to an Irish place for dinner. Here are Richard and Carol.


After dinner we walked down the street and found a bar with outside tables where we could sit, drink, enjoy a cigar and people watch. Richard does like his cigars.


So does Howard.


On Sunday morning while Richard had some work to do I strolled along the streets near Richard's apartment and the Susquehanna River. Across the street from Richard's apartment is the Y.M.C.A. It is a large building and was originally a cotton mill. The brick work is really neat.


From the Y.M.C.A. I crossed the street and got a shot of the Pride at her dock.



A block down is the street which runs to the Capitol building.


An artist painted a few of these cows and has placed them around town. This one, minus her horns, show fireworks over the city with the skyline reflected on the water.


This cow is jazzin'


Further down the riverwalk is this statue dedicated to the men who fought in World War I. It is from the families who lost men in the war.

Further down but not pictured are statues dedicated to Fireman and the PA DOT workers.

My last night in Harrisburg Richard took me to the steel beach. It is the roof of his building and there are chase lounge chairs, park benches and patio tables. The night time views of the river and the town are spectacular. If I go back I will get some shots from up there.

No comments:

Post a Comment