Monday, March 21, 2011

A Weekend "Camping" Trip

Years ago, in my previous life, I used to love to go camping. Pick a weekend, plan a menu, load up and head off.

So a few years back I traded my tent for one that floats and does not leak in heavy rain storms. It is also nice to have a much more comfortable place to sleep at night.

However,,,,,there can be drawbacks.

When I first arrived for my long weekend, I got onboard and heard a strange noise. I went around and turned off all the fans that Richard had left on to circulate the heat. But the noise was still there,,,,,I walked over to the heater and as I stepped on the sole in front of the heater(that's the floor on a boat) the noise changed. I turned off the heater and listened. There was still an odd noise.

Further research showed I had no water pressure and the sound was the water pump trying to build pressure on an empty water tank.

So, this photo shows our wonderful breaker board and all the switches we need to deal with. We usually turn off the water pump and many other things before we leave. The last time Richard was down he forgot to do that.


Friday morning I got up and took Morgan for a walk. Once back onboard I got the largest saucepan I have and headed up to the clubhouse for water to make my coffee with.

When one opens up the area where the control valves for the 4 water tanks are this is what you get to see. The black thing on the left is the water pump itself, to the right of that is a filter. To the right of that there are 3 yellow valves. One is for priming the water pump when things like this happen, another one is for back-filling the tanks from the front of the boat and the last one is for back-filling the tanks from the back of the boat. Under two of the yellow valves there are 4 stainless steel knobs. Those control which ONE tank you are running off of.


Once I had my coffee I connected a water hose and back-filled all the tanks. Only the one we had been running on was really empty. I topped off all the others just because. Then I had to prime the pump and was able to get water flowing from the faucets again. That task done I put up our American flag and my Admiral's Pennant.

Since Richard had been down to the boat several times by himself I knew I had a "bachelor's mess" to clean up. Now in his defense he knows that I am responsible for stowing everything onboard and he also knows that if he were to put something away in the wrong spot I would fuss at him. But at least he could have cleaned the head and vacuumed the place.

Friday I started in our head (bathroom for landlubbers), then moved on to our master stateroom. Once that was done I tackled the galley (kitchen,,, there will be a test later). I ended up the day in the saloon (living area) which I only got half done before it was time for a hot shower and a very stiff cocktail.

Here are two shots of our nice and clean master stateroom. Doesn't that look a lot more comfortable than a sleeping bag in a tent?




Saturday I finished the saloon and was able to relax for a few hours in the late afternoon.

Sunday I tackled the worst chore I had left to do,,,,,,the aft stateroom, a/k/a the garage. No matter where it is, cleaning out the garage is always a pain and this was no different.

By noon on Sunday my neat and tidy saloon looked like a battle zone.


Halfway into the project this is what the aft stateroom still looked like. It was quite awhile before I made any real progress.


We had a mouse on board and here are signs of its miserable existance. It had shredded a rather nice towel and had attempted to build a nest in it.


But by the end of the day Sunday this is what our aft stateroom looked like. Of course on Monday I could hardly get out of bed my muscles were so very stiff and sore.

No comments:

Post a Comment