Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Gratin de Pommes De Terre Et Saucisson



So I jumped into March and started the month off with the first recipe from this cookbook. Although it was easy to make and looked wonderful the first bite brought one word to mind,,,,,bland. Not at all what one would expect from Julia.

Richard and I agree that it needs more sausage and more onions. I had already doubled the amount of Swiss cheese. But I would make this again with the mentioned changes.


Gratin De Pommes De Terre Et Saucisson
(Sausage and Potato Casserole)

3 cups sliced potatoes (previously boiled), about 1 lb.
1 cup minced onions, previously sauteed in butter
1/2 lb Polish sausage, sliced
A lightly buttered dish or pie plate, 8" in diameter and 2" deep
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups light cream
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 cup grated Swiss cheese
1 tblsp butter

Preheat oven to 375.

Arrange layers of potatoes,onions and sausage in baking dish. Blend eggs, cream, salt and pepper in a bowl, pour over potatoes. Sprinkle with cheese and dot with butter. Bake in the upper third of preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, until top has nicely browned.







Serves 4

In the past I have made several recipes out of this book. I used my first one so many times the pages started to fall out. If you can find a copy of this book try the Stuffed Mushrooms, Veal and Ham Casserole. If you have the time the Beef Burgundy is to die for, plus her French Onion Soup Gratinee is the best on a cold winter night.

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea Sharon...I have a Julia Child cookbook, but still haven't tried anything out of it. This just may be my inspiration!

    Hope you guys are doing well and warming up!

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete