Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A New Volume

When some people start something new in their life, they say they have started a new chapter. Well, not me,, nope,, I am starting a whole new volume that will hopefully have many, many chapters to to it.

Met a wonderful man on an over 50 dating site and then spent about 6 weeks sending emails, texts, chatting on the phone or instant messaging each other. We really got to know a lot about each other before our first date. A few weeks later we decided to take a road trip to Decatur, GA so Mike could meet my son. We had a great time and the weather was just about perfect. It was only in the teens and all you could see was snow when we left the mountains.

I did not take any pictures of Friday of us, our awesome meal or anything. Just a bit tired after working and then driving about 5 1/2 hours.

On Saturday after breakfast Mike and I walked over to the Publix Grocery store 2 doors down from the hotel. Now if you don't know about Pulix you are probably wondering why we would do that. If you know Publix, I have a few words,,,,Buffalo Chicken Dip (Thank you Shri!!!!) and fire roasted tomato salsa with black beans and corn. I had to take a picture of the flowers at the Publix sign they were so pretty,,,especially after seeing only dead stuff covered with snow for the last few weeks.


A little later on we meet my son CJ and his girlfriend Brooke for lunch and killer Bloody Marys. Then we went to take a walk. My son pointed out all the cars lining up behind the truck thinking it was going to turn but in realty the driver was out making deliveries. He and my son had just greeted each other.


Mike was enjoying the warmer temps and sunshine as we walked around the square.


The square is pretty neat and has interesting lights around it and a large gazebo on the other end. It is a center of activity of all sorts.


Saturday for dinner we decided to go back to Capozzi's where my son works because it was "within stumbling distance of our hotel". Those are my son's words. We chose a table in the back of the bar and my son made sure that we were taken care of.


We started out Saturday like we did on Friday with these wonderful garlic rolls. We had two orders of them on Saturday.


Mike was enjoying himself,,,,


As was I, as we enjoyed a cosmopolitan made with lemoncello. These babies rock!!


Per my son's request we ordered some stuffed mushrooms and then got a bottle of wine after the cosmos.


Mike and I were having a great time drinking and talking about the food and if we could replicate it at home.


After the mushrooms we ordered these risotto balls made with ham and then quickly fried to give them the crunchy coating.


This young man was our waiter on Friday night and also makes the garlic rolls.


Sunday after breakfast we headed over to the Farmer's Market and bought some stuff to take home before we had to meet CJ and Brooke for lunch. Since we had found a parking spot near the restaurant and had time to kill, Mike and I looked at all the historical markers around.

Here is a statue of Thomas Jefferson. I thought I had taken a picture of the plaque next to him but I guess not, oops.


The courthouse is truly beautiful.


The detail is that which you do not see anymore.


A marker telling about the settling of DeKalb County.


A bust of Mr. DeKalb himself,,minus part of his nose.



After a great lunch at an Irish pub Mike and I headed back to the frozen tundra and picked up our three girls from the kennel. When we finally got home we had all our Farmer's Market stuff to put away. We had bought some mango juice, curry powder, leeks, radishes, Key Lime pie, butter, slab uncured bacon, smoked turkey legs and artichokes.


It was our first road trip,,certainly will not be our last and we had a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment