Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Roasted Garlic White Pizza with Garlic Sauce

Roasted Garlic White Pizza with Garlic Sauce

I love garlic. It should be one of the 4 food groups by itself. It just rocks, especially when roasted and used to make a creamy white sauce for a pizza. This is an Emeril Lagasse recipe from about 8 years ago.

Start with garlic. The recipe calls for 3-4 heads of roasted garlic but I roasted more so that I would have some leftover roasted garlic for things like mashed potatoes. To start I run my hands and fingers over the heads of garlic to remove as move of the excess outside papery covering as possible. Then I cut the tops of the heads of garlic. I place the garlic on a sheet of heavy duty foil and pour olive oil over all the heads.

Then I seal up the foil very tightly and roast at 375 for about an hour. Once the garlic is done I unwrap it and let it cool.

While the garlic was roasting I sauteed up some bacon and drained and chopped some artichoke hearts.

To make the sauce:

1 cup whole milk
2 tblsp butter
2 tblsp flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Gently heat the milk and set aside. Melt the butter. When the foam subsides add the flour and cook until smooth. Cook for 1-2 minutes but do not let the flour color. Gradually add the milk while whisking constantly. Continue to whisk until the sauce comes to a boil and is thickened. Remove from heat and add 10 of the roasted garlic cloves. Pour the hot mixture into a blender , cover tightly, and process until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl and cover with plastic.

I used a frozen, whole wheat pizza dough round instead of making my own.

Sprinkle your pizza pan with cornmeal. Spread , pull and roll the crust out to fit your pan. Pour the sauce on top and smooth to the edges.

Because I like a junk pizza I then sprinkled some bacon pieces on the sauce,

then some chopped up artichoke hearts,

next I added some spinach


I then topped it off with a lot of shredded mozzarella cheese and the remaining roasted cloves of garlic from the 3-4 heads. I bake my pizza at 400 for about 15 minutes or until done.

Ahhh,,,awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment