Sunday, October 16, 2011

Fall Stuff

October has been an interesting month. To start out the month, literally, we received the predicted snowfall on October 1st. But being the creatures of habit that we are, the day before we ran around like crazy stocking in some firewood and picking the very last of what the garden had to offer.

We wound up with a lot of cayenne peppers, several bell peppers, lots of little green tomatoes and some more jalapenos. I made stuffed pepper, pickled the jalapenos and dehydrated the cayenne peppers.


As the winterish weather settled in I went into the kitchen. We had a lot of garlic that we brought back from Florida which was not in the best of condition. I had a recipe for garlic confit so I figured "what the heck" and proceeded to peel 2 cups of garlic cloves. I placed them in a pot and added some seasonings.


Next I added some olive oil,


And then simmered it all for awhile,,,,,,however I got distracted and, according to the recipe, overcooked the garlic. If it tastes good I'll post the recipe.


A couple of days before I was due to leave for South Dakota, Richard called me outside and told me to grab my camera. We had a flock of wild hen turkeys in the backyard.


It was hard to get shots of them as they became aware of us and hustled through the bushes and down the hill.


Today after reading the weather which is calling for highs in the 30s with gusty winds and snow on Wednesday and Thursday we got highly motivated to bring in lots of firewood. Two snowfalls before Halloween? This is NOT how I wanted to start the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment