Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Late Summer Weekends in NC

I was once told that weekends were for relaxing and unwinding from a hard work week. While that may be the case for some people this particular weekend, August 28-29 brought to mind, yet again, the story of the Grasshopper and The Ant. We were the Ants working hard to get ready for the coming cold weather.

We started by getting out the trusty chain saw and taking down a good size Beech tree which had been decapitated during the Christmas Eve ice storm. Once down we realized that it was dying anyway. Parts of the tree were rotten inside.

After it was split it filled an entire row in the woodshed, all the way to the rafters.



The tree work completed I thought I would finish my weekend chores so I could relax on Sunday. I cleaned the house and got out all the fall decorations.



I harvested all the onions and set them on the counter to dry out before I would braid them together.



We started a batch of watermelon rind pickles.



On Sunday Richard just could not resist the urge to finish splitting the Beech tree we had taken down on Saturday. So we fired up the John Deere tractor and got to splitting the last of the tree.



It gave us another half of a row of wood in the shed. As we were stacking all the wood Richard commented that we either need to start going to Synagogue or Church on the weekends so we don't kill ourselves both days.

No comments:

Post a Comment