Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Pumpkin Spice Bars

I got the recipe for these in the mail many years ago,,,many years ago. Every time I make them I get rave reviews. What is really nice is they are fast and easy to make.


This time around I was going to a party and was asked to bring a finger dessert. I assembled most of the ingredients on the counter. I say most because the can of pumpkin is not visible nor is the oil. I don't think they eggs are there either.

For the crust you will need:

2 cups graham cracker crumbs
7 tablespoons butter, melted.
1/4 cup sugar.

Preheat oven to 350. Line a 15 x 11 pan with foil. Mix all the crust ingredients together. Using the bottom of a measuring cup evenly pack the crumbs over the foil. Bake for about 6 minutes, or until fragrant. Let cool completely. (I don't always wait that long)

Here is my crust cooling.

While waiting for the crust to cool I took a picture of my favorite kitchen tool, my mix-master. If it was not for this little gem it would take me a lot longer to get some things done. Now while I love my mixer dearly and have had it and its twin (for the boat) for about 5 years I have never named her. Any suggestions would be welcome. Who knows if its a good name you would get the credit.

For the filing:

In a medium bowl mix together the following:

2 cups flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt.

Mix well and set aside.

In a large bowl beat together:

4 eggs
1 2/3 cup sugar
1 can (15 oz) canned pumplin puree
1 cup vegetable oil.

Once this is all mixed well, mix in the flour. Pour the pumpkin mixture over the cooled crust. Spread evenly. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. The filling should be pulling slightly away from the sides of the pan. A toothpick inserted will come out clean. Let cool completely.

Baked and cooling.

Once cooled frost the bars in the pan with a can of Cream Cheese frosting. Once frosted you can use a fork to make way lines in the frosting. Make sure to wipe the fork clean after each pass. Once frosted remove from the pan using the foil and cut into serving size pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment