Sunday, December 11, 2011

Salmon With Brown Sugar and Mustard Glaze



We love salmon and I really love smoked salmon, even have an entire cookbook on using smoked salmon. But again, I digress.

I have always loved this recipe and it does very well on the grill but since it is near Thanksgiving and I am not going outside to grill in the dark I made this under the broiler.

One thing I like about this cookbook is that it gives pairing suggestions with each meal whether it be beer or wine. In this case it said "a ripe Pinot Noir gives an impression of sweetness to complement the glaze on this salmon, yet it will stand up to the rich fish and spicy mustard". Not being one to disagree I opened a nice bottle of Pinot Noir to sip while preparing and eating my meal.




Salmon With Brown Sugar and Mustard Glaze

1 tblsp brown sugar
1 tsp honey
2 tsp unsalted butter (I use regular)
2 tblsp Dijon mustard
1 tblsp soy sauce
1 tblsp olive oil
2 tsp grated fresh ginger (I substitute dry ground ginger)
1 whole salmon fillet, skin on, about 2 1/2 pounds and 3/4 - 1 inch thick.

In a small saute pan over medium heat, melt the brown sugar with the honey and butter. Remove from the heat and whisk in the mustard, soy sauce, olive oil and ginger. Allow to cool.

Place the salmon, skin side down, on a large sheet of aluminium foil. Trim the foil to leave a border of 1/4-1/2 inch around the edge of the salmon. Coat the flesh of the salmon with the brown sugar mixture.

Grill the salmon indirectly over medium heat until the edges begin to brown and the center is opaque, 25-30 minutes. The internal temperature should be about 125 degrees. Turn off heat and serve fish directly from grill or, using a large baking sheet, carefully transfer the salmon with foil to a cutting board. Cut the salmon crosswise into 6-8 pieces, but do not cut through he skin. Slide a spatula between the ski and the flesh and remove the salmon pieces to a serving platter or individual plates. Serve immediately.

My salmon ready to go into the broiler.


Dinner time.

No comments:

Post a Comment