Monday, April 11, 2011

Baked Ham with Savory Apricot Sauce



Baked Ham with Savory Apricot Sauce
original recipe from Steve Tamburrino

1 1/2 lb boneless canned ham
1 can (15oz) apricot halves in syrup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tblsp cornstarch
1 tblsp lemon juice
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 small clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup dried apricots, sliced
1 tsp butter

In a blender or food processor combine all ingredients except for dried apricots and butter. Blend for 1 minute until smooth. Pour into medium saucepan; stir in dried apricots. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly; lower heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes until sauce thickens. Remove from heat and stir in butter. Serve warm with ham.





I really liked the apricot sauce with the ham. Very tasty and not too sweet. Changes I made: I used 3 large cloves of garlic and since I did not have Worcestershire sauce I substituted** the same amount of A-1 steak sauce. I also forgot to add the butter at the end but I don't think that would have made a difference.

**A few years ago I bought a book "The Food Substitutions Bible" it is wonderful and gives "more than 5,000 substitutions for ingredients, equipment and techniques". I think everyone should have one. $15 on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment